
Malang's BEST Backpacker? Pondok City Square Review!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving HEADFIRST into a review of Malang's BEST Backpacker… Pondok City Square! And trust me, after tramping around Indonesia's backpacking paradise for a while, I've seen things. Let's get this messy goodness started:
Malang's BEST Backpacker? Pondok City Square: The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Absolutely No Sugarcoating (Maybe a Little Bit of Sugar)
First things first: ACCESSIBILITY. Now, I'm not a wheelchair user, but I did take a quick scan. Elevator? Yep. That's a HUGE plus for anyone with mobility issues, or, you know, if you're just REALLY tired from exploring the Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park. They have Facilities for disabled guests, which is another big check in the "helpful" box. Getting around the city itself is pretty straightforward with taxis and whatnot, but having the hotel itself be accessible is a massive weight off your shoulders. Car park [free of charge]? YES! Finding parking in Malang can be a warzone, so this is a victory dance moment.
Internet, Oh Glorious Internet: Listen, in this day and age, Wi-Fi is practically oxygen. Pondok City Square understands this. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms?! Halle-freakin'-lujah! Internet [LAN]? They've got you covered. You can choose your internet poison. Plus Internet services are, well, there. (I never actually USED them, I was too wired into the free Wi-Fi, to be honest). And Wi-Fi in public areas too. It's a digital heaven, and honestly, necessary for planning your next adventure or sharing that perfectly filtered Insta pic.
Cleanliness and Safety: My Inner Germaphobe Squealed with Delight! Okay, look. I'm not a total clean freak, but I do appreciate a place that doesn't look like a petri dish. And Pondok City Square gets it. They've taken this whole hygiene thing SERIOUSLY. Anti-viral cleaning products? Daily disinfection in common areas? Rooms sanitized between stays? YES, YES, AND YES! This is a HUGE relief, especially after traveling for a while. Knowing they are taking extra care to keep everything clean is a total peace of mind, and well appreciated. They even have a Doctor/nurse on call, and a First aid kit. Seriously, I felt like they were practically wrapping me in bubble wrap. Individually-wrapped food options are great. And Hand sanitizer is EVERYWHERE. I'm giving the hotel the "Gold Star" for hygiene.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – Fueling the Adventure: Let's talk about FOOD. Because, let's be honest, that's what really matters, right? Restaurants? Yep. Okay, so let's talk FOOD. Because, let's be honest, that's what really matters, right? They have a Coffee shop, which is a godsend for those early morning starts (or late nights writing blog posts). Breakfast [buffet]? YES! And it's a decent spread. My advice? Get there early for the freshest stuff. The Asian breakfast especially is a feast… I was in culinary heaven. They've got Western breakfast options too, so you can get your eggs and bacon fix. There's Coffee/tea in restaurant, and Bottle of water in the room (always a plus). Room service [24-hour]? Score! Perfect for those late-night cravings or when you just can't face getting dressed. Snack bar again is another massive boon for weary travellers.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Make a Big Difference: Okay, this is where Pondok City Square really shines. Air conditioning in public area? Check. Cash withdrawal? Yep. Concierge? Yup. Daily housekeeping? YES! (That fresh sheet feeling is heavenly). Facilities for disabled guests? Already touched on that, but good to see it again. Laundry service? Another lifesaver for long-term travelers. Luggage storage? Essential if you're planning on taking a day trip. Safety deposit boxes? Definitely a plus for protecting your valuables. They have an Elevator, which again, is a massive win. It's all the little extras that add up to a really comfortable experience. Front desk [24-hour]? This is super important. Needed an important bit of information about a hike? BAM. Front desk, ready and waiting.
For the Kids: (Okay, I'm Not a Kid Person, But…) While this isn't specifically a family-focused hotel, they do have Family/child friendly policies, with Babysitting service, and Kids facilities so that's nice to know, if you're traveling with little adventurers.
Getting Around: The hotel is a great base for exploring the city. Finding it, going to the city, all easy. Taxi service is available. Airport transfer? If you're flying in, this is a massive relief! Cuts out the stress of trying to find a ride after a long flight. Bicycle parking? If you're a bike-lover, it's really helpful (though I didn't see many bikes in the city). Car park [on-site]? Massive, in the chaos that is Malag and parking.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax (or Not…): Okay… NOW we get to the juicy stuff. They DON'T have a pool (which is a shame, I LOVE a pool after a day of hiking.) They also don't have a gym, spa etc.
Available in All Rooms: The Bedtime Story of Comfort: Alright, let's get down to the nitty-gritty of the rooms themselves. (Because let's face it, it can be a real gamble!) Air conditioning: YES. Blackout curtains: YES. Desk: YES. Free bottled water: YES! Internet access – wireless: YES. Mini bar: YES (though I suspect it's not stocked with the good stuff). Private bathroom: YES. Satellite/cable channels: YES. Seating area: YES. Shower: YES. Smoke detector: YES. Soundproofing: YES. Telephone: YES (remember those?). Wi-Fi [free]: YES! Honestly, the rooms are pretty well-equipped. It's clean, it's comfortable, and it's got everything you need (or, let's be honest, what you think you need). They're functional.
The One Thing That Blew My Mind… (and maybe made me a little bit emotional)
Okay, I'm going to get a little personal here. I mentioned previously that I was on the move. That means I was living out of a backpack, eating noodles, and generally existing on three hours of sleep. You'd think it would get easier, but it just… doesn't.
However, on the first day, I had a horrible, travel-related crisis: my phone got stolen (bad, I know!). I mean, it's bad enough losing your phone on a trip, but to lose your only method of contact back home?? I was freaking out.
I went down to the front desk, fully expecting the staff to be… well, let's be honest, indifferent.
But instead, I met a lovely woman with the most calming smile who went above and beyond. She didn't just help; she cared. She called the police, she helped me file a report, and she even let me use the hotel's phone to call my family and make sure I was ok. She even kept me calm, all whilst handling the situation. She was amazing, she went above and beyond.
That's one small moment of help, that made me think about what helps me feel at peace, on the road.
The Verdict: Is Pondok City Square Worth It?
Absolutely. For the price, the location, and the level of cleanliness and service, Pondok City Square is a total winner. It's not a luxury resort, but it's a damn good, reliable, comfortable place to crash after a tough day of climbing the Bromo! It offers a great balance of comfort, convenience, and affordability. The staff are truly amazing. The free Wi-Fi is a game-changer. They really strive to make your stay the BEST possible.
My Quirky Recommendation/Offer:
Book Now and Get a FREE Smile from the Amazing Front Desk Staff! (Seriously, it's worth it!)
Here's the deal: Book your stay at Pondok City Square through [Link to Booking Site, use affiliate links if you have them - that's the real backpacker life!] and get a FREE, guaranteed smile. This is an amazing chance to experience a great stay, knowing that you'll be well-looked after! Don't just take my word for it! Check it out, yourself!
Escape to Paradise: Dahlia Homestay, Malaysia Awaits!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your sterile, corporate travel guide. This is MY trip to Pondok Backpacker City Square in Malang, Indonesia. And trust me, it's gonna be a wild ride. I'm already predicting a healthy dose of questionable decisions, existential crises, and maybe, just maybe, finding a mosquito the size of a small car. Prepare yourselves.
MALANG MADNESS: A Pondok Backpacker Debrief (or, Why My Socks Will Never be the Same)
Day Zero: The Pre-Trip Anxiety (and Packing Disaster)
- Time: Indefinite - aka, all day.
- Location: My apartment. AKA, the pre-trip panic zone.
- Events: Packing. Unpacking. Repacking. Panicking. Googling "how to survive a tropical mosquito infestation."
- Anecdote: I swear, I spent a solid hour deciding which brand of sunscreen to bring. I ended up with three, plus a tube of aloe vera, because apparently, I'm convinced I'm going to spontaneously combust into a crispy tourist. Packing light? HA! My suitcase looks like I'm preparing for the apocalypse, complete with twelve pairs of socks, and a very optimistic outlook about reading all of the books.
- Quirky Observation: My travel pillow looks like a grumpy, beige donut. I suspect it will judge my life choices on the flight.
- Emotional Reaction: Nervous excitement. A healthy dose of self-doubt. And the nagging feeling that I've forgotten something crucial, like my passport. (I haven't. Yet.)
Day One: Malang Arrival and the Great Bed Search (or, Hello, Sweat! Goodbye, Sleep?)
- Time: Early AM (flight) - afternoon (arrival) -evening (bed…hopefully)
- Location: Juanda International Airport (Surabaya) - Malang (via a VERY bumpy bus ride) - Pondok Backpacker City Square (fingers crossed I can find the bloody thing!)
- Events:
- Flight: Survived. Learned that I cannot, under any circumstances, sleep on planes. So basically, I just sat there, wired and twitching, staring at the tiny screen with the inflight movie.
- Bus Ride Horror: The bus ride from Surabaya to Malang. Oh. My. God. It was like being shaken in a cement mixer while watching a fast-forwarded travel show. The aircon was on full blast (freezing!) then off completely. The driver was a speed demon, weaving in and out of traffic like he was auditioning for The Fast and the Furious: Indonesian Edition.
- Finding the Hostel: Exhausted, sweaty, and questioning all life choices, I FINALLY reach Pondok Backpacker. It's…well, it's a backpacker hostel, alright. A little rough around the edges, like me after that bus ride. I check into my dorm – a sweaty, slightly stuffy cave with bunk beds constructed of questionable materials.
- The Bedding Crisis: Okay, so the pillow smells a little like feet. And the sheets? I swear they're from the 1970s and haven't been washed since. But hey, I'm tired. I am also beginning to think the AC is broken, or nonexistent.
- Anecdote: I swear, the guy in the bunk above me is a professional snorer. I swear I could hear his snoring from 30 feet away. It was so loud I'm pretty sure it vibrated the windows. I spent the entire night convinced I was going to die of sleep deprivation.
- Quirky Observation: The hostel shower has a drainage issue. I took a shower, and I swear I nearly flooded the entire place.
- Emotional Reaction: Initially, pure relief at being somewhere. Then, an overwhelming sense of exhaustion and a healthy dose of disgust. But…it's adventure, right? Right?!
Day Two: The Malang Market Madness and Taming the Tempe (or, My Stomach Gets Creative)
- Time: Morning - afternoon
- Location: Pasar Besar Malang (the main market) - wandering the streets - attempts to eat Tempe
- Events:
- Market Exploration: My mission: Survive the market. It was a sensory overload explosion. Stalls overflowing with spices, mountains of fruit I can't even name, screaming vendors, and the constant roar of mopeds. I'm pretty sure I hallucinated a giant durian trying to eat me.
- The Tempe Trials: I, a very, very adventurous eater (cough, cough), was determined to try Tempe. I mean, when in Indonesia, right? I found a street vendor selling fried Tempe, which I devoured with some sate. The first bite was…interesting. The second bite was slightly better. The third bite? Well, it was an experience. It gave me the runs, and now I am sitting in my dorm, questioning my sanity.
- Stomach Troubles: Oh, my poor tummy! It is unhappy! I should have known better, really.
- Anecdote: At the market, a little girl with a bright, innocent smile tried to sell me some fruit. Turns out, she was bargaining for her life. I negotiated by offering her some chocolate I smuggled from the airport. I swear her smile widened when she got it.
- Quirky Observation: I think the smell of cloves and onions is now permanently embedded in my clothes. Can't wait for the laundry.
- Emotional Reaction: A mixture of exhilaration, mild terror (did I just eat something poisonous?), and a profound appreciation for Western toilets.
Day Three: Mount Bromo…Maybe? (or, The Hike of Humiliation)
- Time: Early, EARLY morning - afternoon
- Location: Attempting to visit Mount Bromo (more on this later)
- Events: Mount Bromo - or at least, trying to.
- The Dream: I booked a tour to see the sunrise at Mount Bromo. This seemed like a good idea at the time. Turns out, it was not. It was freezing-cold.
- The Jeep of Doom: First off, our "Jeep" was a rusty, clanking contraption that sounded like it was held together by hope and duct tape.
- The Hike of Humiliation: The hike to the crater rim? Let's just say my fitness level is…optimistic. I was gasping for air, overtaken with all of the other tourists, and feeling about as graceful as a walrus. The thin, high-altitude air was not helping.
- The Bromo Sunrise Surprise: The sunrise? Spectacular. The views? Jaw-dropping. The utter exhaustion? Also, present.
- Anecdote: I saw a guy wearing Crocs on the hike. I swear he was the only one who looked fresh and non-winded.
- Quirky Observation: The sand is black. The volcano smells like sulfur and impending doom. It's beautiful, though.
- Emotional Reaction: Triumph! (I DID IT!) Mixed with sheer and utter exhaustion, feeling like I'd ran a marathon and then been hit by a bus.
Day Four: Staring at Beautiful Waterfalls, and Trying To Forget The Toilet (or, Finding Peace…and a Better Bathroom)
- Time: Morning - afternoon - evening
- Location: Waterfalls - a nicer restaurant, then back to the hostel
- Events: Waterfall visits - a good meal is needed - and a final goodbye to the hostel.
- Waterfall Wonder: The waterfalls were breathtaking. The water was a crisp, cool, rejuvenating experience.
- Restaurant Rescue: I was determined to find a decent meal with a decent bathroom. I found it! It was a moment of pure bliss.
- Saying Goodbye: My original intention was to stay more in Malang, but the hostel, my gut, and I have decided to move on.
- Anecdote: I managed to fall into a puddle, and my shoes now smell like mud.
- Quirky Observation: I'm starting to feel comfortable with the chaos!
- Emotional Reaction: A surge of the "I CAN DO ANYTHING" feeling.
Day Five: Farewell Malang! (or, The Unexpected Emotional Hangover)
- Time: Morning - Afternoon
- Location: Train station
- Events:
- Packing and Departure: Packing is going better this time. I'm almost a pro. I'm even going to miss the hostel.
- Emotional Reflection: I'm leaving, and I'm a little sad. It's been a mess, but it's been my mess.
- Anecdote: I found a gecko on the wall. I'm not sure if it was cute or scary.
- Quirky Observation: My socks will never be the same.

Okay, spill it: Is Pondok City Square Actually the "BEST" Backpacker in Malang? Or Just... Adequate? (Don't hold back!)
Alright, alright, let's get REAL. "BEST"? That's a loaded word, isn't it? Look, Pondok City Square is… a container of experiences. It's not the Four Seasons. It's not a sleek, minimalist Instagram dream. It's... character. Think of it like that slightly chipped, but comfy mug you've had for years. You *know* it's seen some stuff. (Like, probably spilled coffee ALL over the bed situation I'm gonna tell you about later...)
So, "best"? Debatable. But for the price, for the location (more on that later), and for the sheer vibe of it? Yeah, possibly a hidden gem. Possibly. Depends on your tolerance for a bit of grittiness, let's just say.
Location, Location, Location! Is it actually a good spot for exploring Malang?
Oh. My. God. The location. That’s the kicker. Seriously, if you want to be *in* Malang, *actually* in the thick of things, you've hit gold. It's practically spitting distance from the main square, Alun-Alun Malang. Like, stumble-home-after-a-late-night-bakso-feast close.
You've got the Malang Night Paradise basically across the street, if that's your thing (it wasn't mine, personally – too many flashing lights after a few Bintangs). Close proximity to the vibrant local market, the train station, and those legendary *pecel* stalls. You save SO much time and money on transport. Seriously, walkability is a HUGE plus. I'd rate the location a solid, enthusiastic A+.
The Rooms: What's the Deal? Are They Spartan & Basic, or Actual Torture Chambers? (Be Brutally Honest!)
Okay, full disclosure: my room wasn't exactly a palace. Think… budget. Think… functional. Think… (and this is important) check the sheets BEFORE you flop down. Look, you're not paying for luxury. You're paying for a bed, a roof, and a place to dump your backpack.
My first room… let's just say I suspect it had a former life as a storage closet. It was clean-ish, though. And hey, the AC actually worked! (Small victories, people, small victories.) But the real test came the second night... I was SO tired... and then... disaster struck. I went to get into bed... only to discover a truly egregious, completely, gloriously monstrous... stain. On the white sheet. Like, a whole map of a geography lesson of a spill from God-knows-what. My initial reaction was pure, unadulterated horror. Then, resignation. Then, I laughed. I woke them up at the front desk in a delirious, sleep-deprived state and they swapped them, no problem. So, points for that. But yeah... check the sheets!
The Free Breakfast: Worth Getting Out of Your (Probably Questionable) Bed For?
Oh, the breakfast... Ah, the breakfast. Imagine a simple, no-frills Indonesian breakfast. Fried rice (nasi goreng)? Check. A fried egg winking back at you? Indeed. Toast? Maybe. Coffee? Strong enough to raise the dead, and likely brewed the day before.
Was it gourmet? Absolutely not. Was it delicious? Sometimes. Was it enough to fuel a day of exploring? Probably. (I skipped it one morning and regretted it. Lesson learned.) Look, it’s free. Don't expect the Ritz, but it’ll do the trick.
The Staff! Are They Friendly, Helpful, or Just… There? (The important questions!)
Okay, this is where Pondok City Square shines. The staff? Generally, genuinely lovely. They were patient with my terrible Bahasa Indonesia, and always willing to help with directions, booking tours, and even just a friendly chat.
I’m pretty sure one of them even rescued me from getting ripped off by a taxi driver – bless his heart. Seriously, they go above and beyond, and that makes a HUGE difference. Seriously, they're probably the best part.
The Atmosphere: Is It a Party Hostel, or a Quiet Place to Actually Get Some Sleep? (Crucial for weary travelers!)
This is more like a quiet, chill hostel. Not a hardcore party place, thankfully. You can actually get some sleep! I did hear some noise, but it was more general street noise than raging house-parties.
Which is a massive plus if you’re knackered from exploring Bromo or just want to recharge your batteries. It's definitely more geared towards the "budget-conscious traveller" than the "night-life-obsessed" crowd. So, sleep is possible! Hallelujah!
What About Wi-Fi? Is It Actually Usable, or Just a Cruel Joke?
Okay, let's be realistic. The Wi-Fi can be a bit… temperamental. Sometimes it's blazing fast, allowing you to upload those glorious Instagram photos of your nasi goreng masterpiece. Other times, it's slower than a sloth on Valium.
It’s sufficient for basic browsing and maybe a quick email, but don't expect to stream HD movies. My advice: Embrace the digital detox. If you NEED reliable Wi-Fi, be prepared to pop into a cafe. Embrace the offline life. See the world. Be free! And then... you'll go back, and curse it all.
Would You Stay Here Again? The Million Dollar Question! (Be honest, even if it's a hot mess!)
Okay, here’s the thing: I'm a creature of comfort when I'm not backpacking, however, would I go back? Hmm... Probably. Yeah, probably.
Despite the questionable sheets (and let's be real, the general lack of polish), the location, the friendly staff, and the ridiculously low price make it hard to resist. It’s the perfect base for exploring Malang, and for a truly authentic experience.
If you're looking for luxury, RUN! But if you're looking for a cheap, cheerful, and centrally located place to rest your head, then Pondok City Square is worth a look. Just… pack some Clorox wipes, just in case. Just in case.

