
Uncover Hidden Santillana del Mar: Spain's Best-Kept Secret (Hospederia Santillana Awaits!)
Uncover Hidden Santillana del Mar: My Honest Take on Spain's Best-Kept Secret (Hospederia Santillana Awaits!) - And Why You NEED to Go (Even If You're Clumsy)
Okay, folks, let's be real. I just got back from Santillana del Mar, this ridiculously charming medieval town in northern Spain, and… wow. Just wow. They call it the "Town of Three Lies" (it's not flat, it has no saints, and it's not by the sea!), but honestly, the only lie I found was the fact that I didn't book a longer stay. And the Hospederia Santillana, the hotel I stayed in, well, it's pretty much the cherry on top of the delicious, hand-churned ice cream sundae that is this place.
So, buckle up, because I'm about to give you the unfiltered, slightly scattered, totally subjective, and SEO-optimized (don't judge, I need those keywords!) review of my experience. Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotions, from pure bliss to, well, let's just say I almost tripped over a cobblestone. And yes, there's a lot to cover, so let's jump in!
The Grand Entrance & First Impressions:
Finding the exact entrance to the Hospederia was a bit of an adventure, let's be honest. Santillana is all winding streets and ancient buildings, and my sense of direction is… well, let's just say I’m grateful for Google Maps. Once I finally found the place, though, the building was just… magical. Seriously. It's like stepping back in time. Accessibility is decent – there's an elevator (thank the heavens!), and the front desk [24-hour] was super helpful with my luggage (and my general clumsiness – more on that later). My room? Exquisite. Non-smoking rooms, thankfully, and the air conditioning was a lifesaver (it got surprisingly warm). The rooms sanitized between stays, and everything felt spotless, a real comfort for a germaphobe like me.
The Room Itself: My Personal Sanctuary (and My Temporary Disaster Zone):
Okay, let’s break this down. My room had everything you could want: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, a comfy extra long bed (perfect for a sprawling sleeper like myself), bathrobes (luxury!), and a desk that I intended to work at (but mostly used for eating tapas). There was also a mini bar (good!), a coffee/tea maker (essential!), and a hair dryer (phew!). I'm not going to lie, I actually appreciated the in-room safe box, useful for those who, like me, like to keep their valuables secure. Internet access – wireless was a godsend because I'm addicted. And as with every room, there were the usual comforts. Air conditioning, alarm clock, bathtub, blackout curtains, closet, complimentary tea, daily housekeeping, linens, mirror, private bathroom, separate shower/bathtub, shower, slippers, smoke detector, soundproofing, telephone, toiletries, towels, wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], and a window that opens, just for extra freshness. However, don't expect perfection: I did struggle a bit with the Internet access – LAN, wasn't the fastest.
Now, for the messy part. Remember I said I was clumsy? Yep. On day one, I managed to spill coffee everywhere. On the beautiful, pristine carpeting. (Mortified!). Luckily, the daily housekeeping was impeccable and the staff were incredibly understanding. Proof that the staff trained in safety protocol isn't just a marketing gimmick! Honestly, if it weren't for their professionalism, I would be writing this from a jail cell.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Adventure (with a Side of "OMG I Ate Too Much!")
Alright, let's talk food. Because, Spain. The Hospederia hits it out of the park. Restaurants? Several. Breakfast [buffet]? Glorious. The Asian breakfast, might not be what you expect, but the Western breakfast, was just what I needed to recharge. I gorged myself on their local pastries. I mean, come ON, it's a breakfast service. But if you wake up late there is a Breakfast in room. And if that wasn’t enough, there’s even the Breakfast takeaway service.
The A la carte in restaurant offers a wealth of options, with dishes I can barely remember, the international cuisine in restaurant was incredible and the coffee/tea in restaurant, saved me from the caffeine withdrawal. Don't neglect dessert, the desserts in restaurant were fantastic. Also, the soup in restaurant was exactly what I needed when feeling under the weather. Also, there's a Poolside bar next to the swimming pool [outdoor], which is just. Perfect. They even have a snack bar and the bar has delicious cocktails. Seriously, I have to say, the quality of everything was top-notch, and the service impeccable. I also noticed the Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. The entire dining experience was also a joy because of the Safe dining setup. And if you needed it, there was alternative meal arrangement.
Ways to Relax (and Maybe Actually Chill Out… Unlike Me!):
I intended to use the Spa. I really did. The Sauna and Steamroom called my name, but, you'll never guess. I ran out of time. I wanted to experience the spa/sauna. And a massage sounded divine, but my chaotic itinerary didn't allow for it. Seriously, if you actually want to relax, book a longer stay than I did and take advantage of the pool with view, and maybe even a Body scrub. The Gym/fitness seemed well-equipped, which I sadly can't comment on, because I used that time to eat more pastries. Cleanliness and Safety: Peace of Mind (Because I Need It):
Look, I'm a worrier. So, the fact that the Hospederia was so clean, and clearly taking safety seriously, was huge for me. They used Anti-viral cleaning products, had hand sanitizer everywhere, and were meticulous about the daily disinfection in common areas. I felt completely safe, which allowed me to actually enjoy myself. They have CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property. The staff was always wearing masks, and the overall atmosphere was one of genuine care. I saw many instances of Hygiene certification, and they followed the physical distancing of at least 1 meter. The Room sanitization opt-out available, made me feel more in control.
Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easier (Especially for a Disaster-Prone Traveler):
The concierge was a lifesaver, helping me with everything from restaurant reservations to finding a pharmacy (because, you know, I'm accident-prone!). They offer a 24-hour] front desk, contactless check-in/out, which I appreciated. They also had a convenience store, which came in handy, and even a Cash withdrawal. They had an elevator, which I loved. Also facilities for disabled guests were fantastic. And facilities for disabled guests are amazing. I also saw an invoice provided. They offer Laundry service. Luggage storage were vital for me because I do pack a lot.
For the Kids (and the Young at Heart):
While I didn't have any kids with me, I noticed the Family/child friendly atmosphere and the presence of Kids meal. There was a Babysitting service!
Things to Do (Beyond My Clumsiness-Related Adventures):
Santillana del Mar is a dream. You can wander the cobblestone streets, visit the Collegiate Church, and explore the Altamira Caves (prehistoric art!). However, the hotel chain of the Hospederia made me feel safe.
Getting Around:
Parking was effortless because of the car park [free of charge].
The Verdict: Book it. Seriously. Just Book It.
My stay at the Hospederia Santillana was an absolute highlight of my trip. Yes, I spilled coffee. Yes, I almost tripped on every other cobblestone. But the amazing hotel, the incredible food, the stunning town, and the genuinely warm and welcoming staff made it an experience I won't soon forget. It's the perfect place to unwind, explore, and (hopefully) avoid falling flat on your face.
My Highly Opinionated, Unapologetically Honest Recommendation:
This hotel is pure magic. The Hospederia Santillana is the jewel. Every single employee cares about the customer, I loved it, and I will be going back Check-in/out [private] and Check-in/out [express] makes everything so easy. Book now! Just… maybe try not to spill anything
Escape to Paradise: Luxurious Bentong Cottage for 6-15!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly polished travel itinerary. We're diving headfirst into the chaotic, glorious mess that is a trip to Hospedería Santillana, Spain. Prepare for strong opinions, accidental wrong turns, and enough tapas to make your waistband weep.
Project: Santillana del Mar - A Pilgrimage of the Clumsy Tourist.
Day 1: Arrival & Questioning My Life Choices
- 12:00 PM: Arrive at Santander Airport. Okay, first problem: the rental car. They told me it was a "compact." Lies. Utter, brazen lies. It’s a sardine can with wheels, and I'm reasonably sure I won't fit my luggage, let alone ME. Deep breaths. Remember, you wanted this.
- 1:30 PM: Attempt to navigate the satnav. Fail. Repeatedly. Am I the only one in the world who gets lost even with technology? I swear Google Maps has a personal vendetta against me. End up in a roundabout that looks suspiciously like the one I was in 20 minutes ago. Maybe I should just abandon the car and walk? (Definitely not happening. I'm already picturing the blisters.).
- 3:00 PM: Finally, finally, arrive at Hospedería Santillana. Praise the heavens! This place is stunning. That courtyard! The ancient stone! I half expect a knight in shining armor to clatter out of somewhere. Wait… is that a dog? I see a fluffy, four-legged beauty gazing at me from the window of the hotel, and I know this, my soulmate, has found me.
- 3:30 PM: Check-in. (The lady at the front desk has the patience of a saint.) The room: charming, albeit a bit… small. But who needs space when you have atmosphere? Unpack, and then immediately succumb to the jet lag monster. I'm pretty sure a nap is mandatory at this point.
- 6:00 PM: Wake up. Disoriented, but hungry. Time to explore the town. The cobbled streets are everything I dreamed they would be. Except, I almost trip on one every single step. Embrace the grace of a newborn giraffe, they say.
- 7:30 PM: Locate a tapas bar. Order everything. Seriously. I'm talking patatas bravas that sing to my soul, jamón ibérico that melts in my mouth, and some sort of mystery seafood that I devour without knowing what it is. It's pure, unadulterated, foodie bliss. So… so good. The wine… is it the wine, or perhaps the food, that caused me to attempt to learn a basic Spanish phrase “donde esta el bano,” only to be corrected several times by the waiter?
- 9:00 PM: Stumble back to the hotel. Stuffed. Happy. Slightly tipsy. Ready for sleep. But first… need to find that dog.
- 10:00 PM: Discover the dog in the hotel lobby. Named him "Santillana," because… why not? Proceed to cuddle him extensively until I'm forcibly separated by the hotel staff.
Day 2: Caves, Churches, and… Cheese?
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast at the Hospedería. The most delicious bread. The most delicious coffee. I basically eat enough carbs to power a small village.
- 10:00 AM: Visit the Altamira Caves (pre-booked, of course, because this ain't my first rodeo…even though it kinda is). The real caves are closed to the public, so we huddle into a very good replica with a tour guide. The cave paintings are breathtaking. Absolutely mind-blowing, even if they’re not the originals. It's like looking through a portal to the prehistoric past. The tour guide's voice, however… it's soothing, almost hypnotic. I fight off the urge to take a nap in the cave.
- 12:00 PM: Explore Santillana del Mar's Collegiate Church. It's beautiful, but my mind is still stuck on prehistory. Wandering around, I'm struck on how so many tourists miss the small details. The way light hits the stone, the quiet murmur of prayers… it's like time slows down in here. (Though a group of screaming school kids shatters the illusion rather abruptly.)
- 1:30 PM: Lunch at a tiny restaurant. Attempt to order, completely butcher the Spanish, and end up with… cheese. A mountain of cheese. Honestly, I think I'll be lactose intolerant by the end of this trip, but is a very good cheese.
- 3:00 PM: Wandering around the streets, take some amateur photos (some which will later be deleted, if I'm lucky) and buy some souvenirs. Stumble on a bakery and buy a whole mountain of sobasos (local pastry), because why not.
- 4:00 PM: Return to the hotel for another nap. Jet lag is undefeated.
- 6:00 PM: Explore random streets, stumble across a store with antiques.
- 8:00 PM: Dinner and drinks. After the second bottle of wine, decide to try speaking Spanish in public. This is where things get really embarrassing. I'm pretty sure I accidentally insulted the bartender, twice. But hey, at least I tried, right? And the food's still amazing, so it's fine.
- 9:30 PM: Feeling the effects of the wine. Can't quite recall how it all happened, but I am now dancing in a random street.
Day 3: Seaside Serenity & The Great Escape… Gone Wrong
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast. Feel like a parade of croissants is needed, after yesterday's events. Acknowledge the hangover, then proceed to ignore it.
- 10:00 AM: Drive to Comillas. The drive: beautiful. The car: still too small. The map: still irrelevant. Embrace the detour, and enjoy the coastal towns.
- 11:30 AM: See the Capricho de Gaudí. This building is bonkers and wonderful. Gaudí was clearly off his rocker, in the best possible way. The colours! The shapes! It's like a fairytale.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch in Comillas. More seafood, because when in Spain.
- 2:30 PM: Attempt to visit a beach. The beach is lovely, but a strong wind almost blows me into the Cantabrian Sea. A small child points and laughs. I consider throwing the child, but I calm myself and decide to enjoy the view.
- 4:00 PM: Try to get back to the hotel. The GPS directs me to the most remote and terrifyingly narrow road I've ever seen. The car almost slides off a cliff. Realize I'm completely lost. Panic sets in.
- 4:30 PM: Finally, after a series of U-turns that would make a professional stunt driver proud, arrive back at the main road. Swear to never trust the GPS again.
- 6:00 PM: Back at the hotel! Collapse on the bed. Contemplate life, travel, and the futility of trying to plan anything with certainty.
- 7:00 PM: Take a long, hot shower. Wash away the road dust and the near-death experience.
- 8:00 PM: One last tapas feast. Determine that I have peaked, in life, due to this food.
- 9:00 PM: Find "Santillana" the dog. Bid him an emotional farewell. (Pretty sure he doesn't care).
- 10:00 PM: Pack. Cry slightly.
- 11:00 PM: Stare out the window. Reflect on the trip. It's been messy, it's been chaotic, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Because ultimately, even the wrong turns become stories to tell.
Day 4: Departure
- 8:00 AM: One last breakfast, one last coffee, one last croissant. Sob.
- 9:00 AM: Check out. Say goodbye to the lovely staff.
- 9:30 AM: Begin the drive back to Santander… and hope the tiny car doesn't break down.
- 11:00 AM: Arrive at the airport. Say goodbye to the car rental company and be glad it's over.
- 12:00 PM: Fly away, full of cheese, memories, and a profound love for Spain.
…and the unshakeable desire to return.
Unbelievable France Getaway: Vacanceole Illixon Awaits!
Uncover Hidden Santillana del Mar: Spain's Best-Kept Secret (Hospederia Santillana Awaits!) - The Really *Real* FAQs
Okay, Santillana del Mar... Sounds cute. But is it *actually* good? Like, really?
Look, let's be honest. Before heading to Santillana, I was bracing for major tourist-trap vibes. "Pretty" villages sometimes mean "overpriced souvenir shops and endless bus tours," right? But... woah. My skepticism evaporated faster than a cheap sangria on a hot day. Santillana feels... different. It *is* undeniably beautiful, with its cobblestone streets and medieval architecture. But it's also got this palpable sense of history, a whisper of the past, that genuine feeling. I'm not gonna lie, the first few hours were just me, mouth agape, wandering the little alleyways, half expecting a knight in shining armor to gallop past. I kid, but it's THAT good.
And the Hospederia Santillana? Is it all it's cracked up to be? *Because hotel choice matters.* Big time.
Okay, buckle up. The Hospederia Santillana? It's NOT just another sterile hotel room. It's... an *experience*. Think: Staying in a former palace (I swear, I felt like royalty – or at least, a mildly pampered tourist who likes a good breakfast buffet). The stone walls, the heavy wooden doors, the courtyard... It's ridiculously charming. I stayed in a room that *actually* had a fireplace. (Okay, so it wasn't functional, but still!). And the breakfast? Forget about it. I probably gained five pounds just from the pastries and the endless coffee. Best breakfast game EVER. Listen, if you are someone who needs the ultimate luxury, maybe it's not for you, but it's definitely a top-notch experience, with so much character.
What's there to *do* in Santillana, besides looking pretty? I need a break from looking at pretty things, you know?
Right, right. "Pretty" gets old, eventually. Okay, so besides being a walking, talking postcard, Santillana has some serious substance. First off, the Altamira Museum and Cave. Go! GO NOW! It's a replica of the famous prehistoric caves, and it's mind-blowing. You'll be staring at cave paintings that are thousands of years old, thinking "Wow, humans have always been trying to express themselves!" Also, the Colegiata (Collegiate Church of Santa Juliana) is stunning. And then there's the... uh... oh, right! The *food*! Tapas, endless tapas. Every little bar serves them. Get the jamon! The chorizo! The... well, everything! And just wander. Seriously. Get lost in the backstreets. That's where the magic happens.
Is it touristy? Because I HATE super-touristy places. That's the real dealbreaker.
Okay, let's address the elephant in the cobblestone street. Yes, Santillana *does* get tourists. It's not a complete secret. BUT, and this is a HUGE BUT, it doesn't feel overrun in the same way as, say, Venice. The crowds are generally well-behaved (or at least, I didn’t encounter any real horror stories). And if you avoid the peak hours (like, say, 11 am to 3 pm), you can have the place almost to yourself. Early mornings, late afternoons... golden. Take a walk, and feel. The vibe changes. The light is different. It does not feel too touristy in most of the year. It really feels more authentic than most places - I promise it's not as touristy as you're probably imagining.
The food! Tell me about the food! I live to eat.
Oh, the food. Where do I even *begin*? Okay, picture this: You are wandering the streets, already in love with the atmosphere, feeling the sun and the breeze. Suddenly, a little tavern catches your eye. You go in, get a table, and order some local dishes. Ahh, the smell! The flavors of Cantabria are unique and delicious! I spent an embarrassing amount of time eating, drinking, and generally being very, very happy. The local specialty, cocido montañés (a hearty stew) is a MUST. Also, the seafood! So fresh, so flavorful. Seriously, I am salivating just thinking about it. (Maybe that's the caffeine, though). And the wine? Oh, the wine. It's a food lover's paradise, basically.
Any tips for visiting? I'm a planner, and I like to be prepared.
Okay, here's the lowdown:
- **Book Accommodation in Advance:** Especially the Hospederia. Seriously. DO IT. It's popular. You’ll thank me later. Or, actually, the hotel staff will thank you.
- **Wear Comfortable Shoes:** Those cobblestones are no joke. Your ankles will thank you big time.
- **Learn a Few Basic Spanish Phrases:** Even just "Hola," "Gracias," and "Por favor" goes a long way. The locals appreciate the effort.
- **Embrace the Siesta:** Most shops close for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Embrace it! It's a perfect time for a nap or a leisurely lunch.
- **Bring a Camera:** Duh. You'll be taking a million photos. Trust me.
- **Don't overpack**. You'll be walking – a lot. A light bag will save you.
What's the *worst* thing about Santillana? Be honest.
Okay, honesty time. The worst thing? Leaving. Seriously. I seriously did not want to depart. (Might have shed a tear or two at the bus station). And, okay, maybe the fact that it's a bit tricky to get to if you don't have a car. Public transport is possible, but it can be a bit slow. And the other, completely random thing? The souvenir shops can verge on the kitsch. Tacky bull figurines abound. But they're easy to avoid. Really. You can do it. Just focus on the ancient beauty.
Is it worth the hype? (And is it worth the trip to Spain just for Santillana?)
Okay, the ultimate question. Is Santillana worth the hype? ABSOLUTELY. Is it worth going to Spain *just* for it? Hmm... DependsHotel Search Today

