
Ames's Hidden Gem: Courtyard Marriott - Unforgettable Stay Awaits!
Ames's Hidden Gem: Courtyard Marriott - Unforgettable Stay Awaits! - My Honest Take (Because Let's Be Real, It's Never PERFECT)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to give you the REAL deal on the Courtyard Marriott in Ames, Iowa. Forget the glossy brochures, because this isn't a travel ad, it's a friend laying it all out. I’ve stayed here a few times, and I'm totally here for the honest review, warts and all. Let's dive in… and, yes, I'm going to ramble a bit. Consider yourself warned.
Accessibility: It's Pretty Good, Y'all (But Not Perfect, Duh)
First off, because I know it's important, accessibility deserves its own shout-out. The website claims "facilities for disabled guests." And I've seen elevators. BUT. I'm no expert on this, so I can't say with authority. I did see a ramp leading into the lobby, which is a good sign. But always, ALWAYS call ahead and confirm specific needs are met. Don't rely on my blabbering!
Getting In - The First Impression
Okay, so you pull up. Free parking? Yes! (Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site] – double-checked that for you). Valet? Nah, not that I saw. But honestly, I prefer the no-pressure approach. You're there and you're ready. The elevator is always a bonus.
Rooms - The Sanctuary (Mostly)
They've got a decent number of non-smoking rooms (Non-smoking rooms - check!). And the biggest Win? Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Wi-Fi [free]). Seriously, in today's world, that's a must. The beds? Comfortable-ish. Not the best I've ever slept on, but certainly not the worst. And I always appreciate a good blackout curtain (Blackout curtains - check!). Because let's be honest, sometimes you just need to hide from the sun and the world. The bathroom? Clean. Not exactly spa-like, but functional and with good water pressure. (Important, am I right?!) They don't all have additional toilet, so you might want to call ahead if that is necessary.
I will say… once, when I stayed, my room felt a little… sterile. Like they'd gone overboard with the professional-grade sanitizing services (Professional-grade sanitizing services - check). Seriously, it faintly smelled of hospital. It was clean, mind you, but it lacked the… personality. Maybe I'm just a messy, cozy person, but I like a little life in my hotel room.
The Amenities - Let’s Get Real
- The Pool & Spa - "Pool with view" - I don't know about a view, but it's a pool. And an outdoor swimming pool (Swimming pool [outdoor])! I'm not much of a swimmer, but I am a sunbather. So, good stuff, I think. Sauna, Spa, Steamroom, Spa/sauna? - Not sure I caught these. So you'll want to check.
- Fitness Center - Gym/fitness. Yeah, they've got one. I walked by it. I looked at it longingly. I did not go in. (I'm mostly the "relax by the pool" type).
Dining & Drinking - Coffee, Booze, and… Well, It's Iowa
- Breakfast is key! Breakfast [buffet] or Breakfast service… it sounds like they've got a buffet (Buffet in restaurant)! I'm guessing it's the standard fare (eggs, bacon, the usual suspects). I'm also a huge fan of Coffee/tea in restaurant. I am a coffee person, so that's essential. Breakfast takeaway service is listed too!
- Restaurants: You’ve got a bar (Bar), and a restaurant (Restaurants and Coffee shop)
- Room Service (24-hour): Yes! (Room service [24-hour]). This is a huge win. Especially if you’re like me and get the late-night munchies.
Cleanliness & Safety - The "Before Times" are Over
They seem to be taking things seriously. Hand sanitizer (Hand sanitizer - check!) everywhere. The website brags about "Anti-viral cleaning products," and "Daily disinfection in common areas" and "Rooms sanitized between stays." (See, they really want you to know they are sanitizing!) They also have "Hand sanitizer" which is lovely! They have a first aid kit in case of emergency. So there's that.
Services and Conveniences - The Behind-the-Scenes Good Stuff
- Elevator (Elevator - check!) - Praise the Lord! As much as I enjoyed walking, sometimes, I want the elevator.
- Concierge: A concierge (Concierge). Always a plus!
- On-site event hosting, Business facilities, indoor venue for special events, outdoor venue for special events (Meeting/banquet facilities, etc.): If you actually have to work on your vacation, it seems like they are set up with the professional stuff.
- Laundry/Dry Cleaning (Laundry service, Dry cleaning, Ironing service): Because, let's be honest, I can’t seem to pack without wrinkles.
Things to Do… in Ames?
Okay, so Ames isn't exactly bustling with activity. But it's Ames. This isn't about the town, it's the hotel. BUT, if you are here for a wedding at ISU, or for a college visit, the Courtyard Marriott is a great spot.
The Real Verdict
Look, this Courtyard Marriott isn't a luxury resort. It's a solid, reliable hotel. It's clean, convenient, and generally a pleasant place to stay. It's got the basics covered, and then some.
My Anecdote: The Coffee Conundrum
Okay, one time, I was running late. REALLY late. I was practically leaping out of bed for an important meeting, and I NEEDED coffee. I mean, needed. The coffee machine in the room was kaput. Absolutely useless. I had to scramble down to the lobby, half-dressed, hair askew, looking for my caffeine fix. And you know what? The lobby coffee was weak. This is a minor complaint, I know, but it completely derailed my morning. The point is: check that coffee maker FIRST. It might save your sanity.
So, Should You Book?
YES.
Here's why: The Courtyard Marriott, in its own way, brings the basic comforts that a hotel stay should; it also has that feeling of safety that a hotel should. It offers convenience, and sometimes the most you want in a hotel is simplicity!
My Quirky, Honest Offer for Ames's Hidden Gem: Courtyard Marriott - Unforgettable Stay Awaits!
Tired of… well, everything? Craving a little "me-time" (or a romantic getaway without the drama*)?
Book Now and Discover Convenience & Comfort at Ames's Courtyard Marriott!
Book within the next 72 hours using promo code "AMESGEM" and receive:
- Free Upgrade to a higher floor room when available! Because who doesn't want a slightly better view (even if it's of the Iowa landscape?).
- Complimentary Late Check-Out (Up to 1 PM)! So you can eke out those precious few extra minutes of sleep (or coffee consumption).
- A Voucher for a FREE Drink at the Bar! (You know, to ease those travel jitters).
This offer is my guarantee you'll get more than just a room. You'll get a stay that is what you're looking for: clean, safe, and convenient and the chance to enjoy yourself. So, ditch the stress, embrace the convenience, and book your Ames escape today!
Click Here to Book & Mention Code "AMESGEM"! [Insert Affiliate Link or Booking Link Here]
P.S. Don’t forget to pack your coffee pods (just in case). And, okay, maybe a little personality-enhancing room decor. You know, for your own sanity.
Hilton Beijing Wangfujing: Luxury Getaway in the Heart of Ancient China
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this itinerary is gonna be less "smooth-sailing brochure" and more "confessional booth on wheels." This is my attempt at conquering the… checks notes … Courtyard by Marriott in Ames, Iowa. This, my friends, is my soul-searching travelogue disguised as a business trip. Or maybe the other way around. Who even knows anymore?
Day 1: Iowa, You Sneaky Devil!
- 3:00 PM - Arrival & Pre-emptive Disappointment (and maybe a rogue tear): Landed at Des Moines International, which, let's be honest, is about as exciting as watching paint dry. The drive to Ames? Longer. Much longer. I’m already feeling the Iowa vibes… a slow, deep, slightly suffocating calm. Finding the Courtyard. It’s…corporate. Beige. Familiar enough to feel vaguely safe, yet still… uninspiring. The room? Perfectly fine. Perfectly… meh. I bet the bed folds into the wall. No, I swear this desk is definitely made of plastic. I’ll have a moment, though. Maybe I’ll call home and tell my cat I do miss him.
- 4:00 PM - The Great Snack Hunt & The Elevator Saga: Okay, gotta find snacks. The vending machine… empty. Like, REALLY empty. I’m talking "Post-Apocalyptic wasteland" empty. "Is it always like this?" I whisper to the elevator, hoping for a friendly reply. The elevator stares blankly back. Rude. Turns out the “Market” is closed… or, more accurately, was. I’m suddenly seized with the panic of a hungry toddler. Did I pack enough granola bars?! Oh god. Now I’m already fantasizing about the free breakfast buffet. Please, Iowa, do NOT disappoint with the waffles. Wait. Is that a weird smell? Oh god, is it the carpet?
- 5:00 PM - Work…Ugh (and the existential dread of the hotel gym): The reason I am here. Yes, I have to work. Meetings. Presentations. God help us all. I should hit the gym, right? Get some of these travel-induced jitters out. But…the hotel gym. The fluorescent lighting. The judgy elliptical machine. I think I'll just check the treadmill and decide later…Yeah.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner: The Quest for Edible Sustenance: Okay, Yelp tells me there's a "decent" Italian place nearby. "Decent." In the travel-hungry-and-slightly-desperate vocabulary, "decent" translates to "potentially life-saving." Pray for me.
- 9:00 PM - Post-Dinner Regrets and the Lullaby of the TV: Pizza came. It was fine, in a "it-filled-the-void" kind of way. Now? Binge-watching something on the TV. I’m not sure why I expected anything different. The hotel room has become my warm, beige prison.
Day 2: The Ames Adventure Begins (Maybe?)
- 7:00 AM - The Breakfast Buffet – A Holy Experience? (or the waffle drama): Here is the moment of truth. THE WAFFLE. The promise of the buffet. The possibility of a decent cup of coffee. I approach the buffet. And…it's… glorious. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating. It's adequate. The waffle iron, though, is demanding. I can make a waffle, right? Yeah, I can - oh god it is a mess. I have the coffee at least. I should take notes.
- 8:00 AM - Meetings…The Grind Continues: Meetings. More meetings. Smile. Nod. Try not to fall asleep. Pretend I understand what everyone is talking about. Secretly, I am thinking about waffles. And home. And my cat. I miss him.
- 12:00 PM - Lunch…The Salad Bar Challenge: They have a salad bar. Okay, I can do this. I will be healthy! (Three minutes later) Okay, maybe I can’t. The salad bar is depressing. I have a lot of croutons apparently. Ah crap.
- 1:00 PM - More Work – The Dreadful Afternoon Slump: I’m running on coffee and sheer willpower. I’ve started hallucinating office supplies. They are all judging me. Especially the stapler.
- 4:00 PM - The Unexpected Iowa Charm (Or, "I'm Not Sure What Just Happened, But I Liked It"): Someone suggested a walk around Iowa State University. Honestly, I went just to kill an hour. But… it was actually… nice? The campus is beautiful. The people are friendly. I even saw a squirrel. A genuinely happy squirrel. Maybe Iowa isn't so bad after all. Maybe. I saw a statue and I had to take a picture.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner: The Return of Pizza (Embracing the Predictable): I admit it. I went back to the Italian place. It was easier. Comfort food is king. And maybe the waitress recognized me. I bet she thought I'd be boring.
- 9:00 PM - The Existential Dread Returns (and the quest for a pillow): The bed is …fine. But the pillows. Oh, the pillows. This is what I hate the most about hotel stays. They are too fluffy, or flat, or smell weird. I need a good pillow. Is there a pillow menu at the Courtyard? Maybe. Probably not. I will just cry myself to sleep.
Day 3: Leaving Ames - The bittersweet farewell
- 7:00 AM - The Final Waffle (and goodbye pancakes too): One last waffle. One last glance at the breakfast buffet with its little cardboard signs. I should get going. Maybe I actually liked Ames.
- 8:00 AM - Final Meeting (with a smile this time): Things went well. I've gotten used to the hotel room. I almost feel like an Iowa-ite.
- 9:00 AM - Check Out – The Great Escape: Actually a very smooth check-out. No problems. They smile at me. I smile back. I'm okay with this.
- 9:30 AM - The Drive to Des Moines – Thoughts and Reflections: The drive back. I'm thinking. I feel calm. Maybe I'll come back to Iowa. I'll miss the waffles. And the squirrel.
- 11:00 AM - Airport – The End… For Now: I arrive at the airport. I walk to my gate. Goodbye, Iowa. I will never forget you. I never thought I would. Farewell, Courtyard by Marriott Ames… Until next time.
This, my friends, is the unvarnished truth. The mess, the longing, the occasional joy found in the blandest of places. Welcome to my trip. And if you see me in the airport wearing a waffle on my head, just smile, and nod. You understand. You've been there.
Mui Ne Connect: Your Vietnam Adventure Starts Now!
Ames's Hidden Gem (Maybe?): Courtyard Marriott - FAQ (Plus, Seriously, My Own Brain Dump)
Is the Courtyard Marriott in Ames *really* a hidden gem, or is that just marketing fluff?
Okay, look, "hidden gem" is a strong phrase. I've stayed in some truly HIDEOUS hotels in my time. Think stained carpets, questionable smells, and a breakfast bar that looked like it survived a zombie apocalypse. (Okay, maybe not *that* bad, but you get the idea.) The Courtyard in Ames? It's… pleasant. Clean. Functional. The "gem" part? Maybe it's the lack of actual, screaming babies at 3 AM (a huge win in my book). Maybe it's the consistently decent coffee at the bistro. See, it's NOT a five-star resort. It's a solid, reliable, “I-didn’t-get-murdered-in-my-sleep” kind of place. So, call it a "polished pebble" rather than a diamond. And that, honestly, sometimes is a massive upgrade, right?
What's the deal with the pool and fitness center? Are they any good? (Because my gym membership is expensive).
The pool? It's indoor, so bonus points for weather protection. It's… fine. It's not Olympic-sized, and the jacuzzi is often a little too… bubbly for my taste. (I feel like I'm going to choke on a bubble! Am I the ONLY one who feels like that?) But it DOES exist, it's warm, and you can get a few laps in. The fitness center? Better. A treadmill, elliptical, some weights. Not a gold-plated, state-of-the-art setup, but enough to sweat out that extra waffle you devoured at the breakfast bar (more on that later). Honestly, for a hotel gym, it’s surprisingly well-equipped. I've definitely seen worse. Much worse. Like, the kind of equipment you're pretty sure was salvaged from the Titanic.
Tell me about the breakfast situation. Is it worth it?
Alright, buckle up, because this is a rollercoaster. The breakfast. Is. An. Experience. It's a buffet, so you know you're in for a carb-loading extravaganza. Waffles? Absolutely. Fresh fruit? Sometimes. The eggs? Well, let's just say they're the kind of eggs you either love or… tolerate. I'm firmly in the "tolerate" camp. But the coffee? It’s consistently *decent*. And the staff? Surprisingly cheerful, considering they’re dealing with a herd of slightly sleep-deprived travelers first thing in the morning.
BUT – and this is a big BUT – *one time*, I swear, the sausage links were… off. Like, they had a weird, mealy texture and a slightly… tangy aftertaste. I'm not saying they were *bad*, I'm just saying I spent the rest of the morning questioning my life choices. And maybe I should have gone for the cereal. Or just skipped breakfast altogether. Arrrgh! It throws my entire day off. I should have skipped the sausage altogether. But, you know, free breakfast. The siren call is ALWAYS strong.
What kind of people stay here? Is it always boring business travelers?
Mostly business travelers. But you'll get everyone. Families, college students (especially during Iowa State events), the occasional lone wolf like myself. It's a good mix. I’ve seen a wedding party once. That was fun! Some folks from the theater. Listen, it’s not a swinging singles scene, unless you consider the occasional awkward elevator conversation gem. But it's a pretty typical cross-section of humanity, which, let’s be honest, is way more interesting than a hotel full of robots typing away on their laptops. (Okay, maybe not *all* business travelers are robots…)
Is the location convenient? What's nearby?
The location is… fine. It's near a decent amount of restaurants (some better than others). There’s a Starbucks nearby, which is a HUGE plus (coffee addiction is a real thing, people!). Shopping? Yep, some options. Iowa State University is a short drive away, which is great if you're visiting the campus. You’re not going to be in the middle of the action, but you’re not exactly stranded in the wilderness either. I once tried to walk to a restaurant that Google Maps said was "three blocks away." It was actually more like a mile and a half, and I ended up sweating like a pig. Learn from my mistake: Check the actual distance! Or, you know, Uber.
Anything *really* annoyng about the place I should know?
Okay, this is where I get real. Occasionally, the elevator decides it wants to be a drama llama and acts up. I've waited for, oh, a good five minutes, watching it go up and down between the first and second floor without ever stopping to let anyone in. That’s annoying when you're loaded down with luggage. The Wi-Fi can sometimes be… spotty. I mean, they *say* it's high-speed, but sometimes I feel like I'm back in the dial-up days. And, on one particular trip, there was a *loud* party going on in one of the rooms down the hall. It went on way past a reasonable hour. And I had an early meeting! I was grumpy. Very, very grumpy. The front desk handled it eventually, but still...
Is there a bar? Because, after that day of the sausage, I need some booze.
Yes! There is a bar! It is… a bar. Serves drinks. Has basic bar food. It saved me after the sausage incident. It is a welcome oasis of normalcy in the face of questionable breakfast meats. I've had a perfectly fine beer or two there. The bartender was actually pretty decent. Not the kind of place you'd go out of your way for, but it’s convenient. And sometimes, convenience is everything. Especially when you need a strong drink.
Would you stay there again? Considering the… the experience?
Honestly? Yes. I would. It's reliable. It’s clean. It's not trying to be something it's not. It's like a comfortable, well-worn pair of shoes. Sure, there are some quirks. But the lack of screaming babies at 3 AM? The convenient bar? The generally friendly staff? Those are worth something. I’m not saying it's the Taj Mahal. But it's a perfectly acceptable hotel. And sometimes, that’s more than enough. Maybe I should ask them to put some more bacon on the breakfast buffet.
Where To Stay Now
