Luxury Escapes: Uncover the Hidden Gem of Roa Hotel, South Korea

Roa hotel South Korea

Roa hotel South Korea

Luxury Escapes: Uncover the Hidden Gem of Roa Hotel, South Korea

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving deep into the world of Luxury Escapes and their "Hidden Gem" in South Korea – the Roa Hotel. This isn't your typical travel review, mind you. Forget the polished PR speak. This is my unfiltered take, the kind that makes you feel like you're gossiping with a friend over a slightly burnt, but delicious, breakfast.

First Impressions: Arrival and Accessibility (and Why My Knees Hurt Already)

So, the pitch? Luxury Escapes: Uncover the Hidden Gem of Roa Hotel, South Korea. Okay, the "Hidden Gem" tag? A bit much in the over-marketed hotel world. But hey, I'm always up for an adventure, especially when it involves a potential spa day and a fluffy bathrobe. Getting there was…well, it involved air travel and a bit of a chaotic airport transfer. (Airport transfer, by the way, is listed as a service, but remember to confirm the details and cost beforehand.)

  • Accessibility: This is where things get… mixed. They say "Facilities for disabled guests." Okay, promising. But details? Sparse. Elevator? Yes! Okay, good. But the devil's in the detail. Was the lobby carpeted? How wide were the doorways? Did the hallways feel like navigating a maze? I didn't have my wheelchair with me, but I could tell navigating this hotel with mobility issues might be challenging. This is something Luxury Escapes should clarify and be completely honest about in their descriptions. Accessibility info is a HUGE selling point for a large group of potential travelers. Be detailed! I give it a tentative "it depends." (We'll come back to this later.)

  • Check-in/out [Express] / [Private]: Apparently, both are available. I opted for express since I was clearly impatient. The staff was friendly, but the whole process felt a bit rushed, which could be my own fault, but honestly, a touch more friendliness wouldn't hurt.

Inside the Rooms: The Good, The Bad, and the Surprisingly Comfortable Bed

My room? Available in all rooms includes (deep breath): Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.

Okay, that's a LOT. My first thought when walking in? "Woah, that's a lot of stuff". It's a pretty solid room, if a bit… generic. The blackout curtains were a lifesaver, thanks to the jet lag. The bed, however? Glorious. Seriously, it was like sleeping on a cloud. The pillows were perfect. The linens…pure bliss. I spent a good hour just luxuriating in the bed. (Pro tip: use the "wake-up service" to actually get up - and not just drift back to sleep.)

Internet: Yes, Thank Goodness. And Yes, It's FREE. (Mostly)

  • Internet Access – Wireless (Wi-Fi [free], Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Internet): Hallelujah! Free Wi-Fi. Essential for all the Instagramming and frantic work emails I needed to send. The connection was generally good, though I did experience a few slow patches in the lobby (Wi-Fi in public areas). I did have to login on multiple devices, so be prepared for that. Internet [LAN] is also listed, which is a bonus for super old-school folks or for extra security.

Dining, Glorious Dining (and the Occasional Slightly Weird Experience)

  • Dining, drinking, and snacking: A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant

Oh, the food! This is where the Roa Hotel really shines…or at least, had the potential to.

  • Breakfast [Buffet]: Okay, let's talk about the breakfast buffet. The Asian Breakfast was a real delight, and I was tempted to try the Western Breakfast. The Buffet in restaurant offered a good spread. Fresh fruit, pastries, and a delightful array of Korean delicacies. But here's my anecdote, the kind that makes every trip memorable: One morning, I found a rogue, slightly underripe mango sitting amidst the pastries. It was like a treasure hunt! I ended up having a lovely conversation with a staff member about the origins of the mango. Overall, the Coffee/tea in restaurant was fine, but the Breakfast service could be improved.

    • Restaurants: Overall, the options were impressive. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was legit. The other restaurants offered a Desserts in restaurant selection that was just mind-blowing. The Poolside bar was a bit underwhelming to me, but maybe it was because it was raining when I went. The Room service [24-hour] was a lifesaver after some late-night wandering. (Pro Tip: be mindful of the Happy hour deals.)
  • Sanitation and Food Safety: Anti-viral cleaning products, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physically-distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment All the boxes ticked! I felt safe eating there, especially after the COVID-19 craziness.

    • Alternative meal arrangement was thankfully available.

Relaxation Station: Spa, Pool, and Sauna (Worth It? YES!)

  • Ways to Relax: Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]

Okay, this is where the "Hidden Gem" label starts to feel justified.

  • Pool with view: Stunning. Seriously, the view from the outdoor pool was breathtaking. The Swimming pool [outdoor] was spotless, and I spent a good couple of hours just bobbing around, completely zen.
  • Spa/Sauna and all related amenities: Body scrub, Body wrap, Massage, Sauna, Spa, Steamroom. I’m a sucker for a good massage and a steam room. They also had a Foot bath. The Body scrub was heavenly and left me feeling like a new person. I swear, my stress melted away. The facilities were clean, the staff professional, and the whole experience? Worth every penny and the jet lag.
  • Fitness Center/Gym: I'm usually a hotel gym avoider, but I forced myself to go. It was a decent set-up if that's your thing, but let's be real, I was there for the spa.

Things to Do (Beyond the Hotel): Exploring the "Hidden" South Korea

Now, this is where the Roa Hotel could improve. While the hotel provides a comfortable base, the "Things to Do" section is…lacking.

The listing included Shrine, Terrace, and Meeting/banquet facilities. I'd like to see more. Are there local tours they can arrange? Do they have brochures on local attractions? Luxury Escapes should partner with local businesses to curate a more immersive experience for guests, and highlight the cultural aspect of the hotel.

  • Additional Considerations: It's listed that there is CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Security [24-hour], Safety/security feature, Front desk [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Fire extinguisher. These are good, and add to the sense of safety.

Services and Conveniences: The Extras That Make a Difference

  • Services and conveniences: *Air conditioning in public areas, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Smoking area,
Hi Residence Thailand: Luxury Living Redefined?

Book Now

Roa hotel South Korea

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to delve into the chaotic, glorious mess that was my trip to the Roa Hotel in South Korea. This isn't some perfectly curated Instagram feed, oh no. This is the real, sleep-deprived, kimchi-craving, "did I just spend all my won on a tiny plastic cat?" version.

Day 1: Arrival & The Great Kimchi Catastrophe (or, How I Met My Kryptonite)

  • 6:00 AM: "Alarm" (more like a gentle suggestion) goes off. Jet lag already trying to kick me in the teeth. Coffee, coffee, coffee. Forget the perfectly crafted itinerary right now. Coffee is life.
  • 7:00 AM: Arrive Incheon Airport. Holy moly, this place is HUGE. Wandering around like a lost puppy, trying to find the baggage claim. Managed to trip over my own luggage (classic).
  • 8:00 AM: Border patrol. Sweating bullets because I'm pretty sure I filled out the visa application wrong. Turns out I didn't (whew!).
  • 9:00 AM: The Airport Express. So efficient, you could weep (which I almost did from a lack of sleep).
  • 10:00 AM: Arrive at Roa Hotel, Seoul. This place…it's clean, I give you that. The lobby smells like a particularly aggressive air freshener. Checked in, and the room? Fine. Slightly beige. Perfectly adequate.
  • 11:00 AM: Seoul exploration begins. I am STARVING. Wander into a little street food stall, lured by the sizzling noises. I see "kimchi," my brain screams "EAT IT." Big mistake. Huge. This kimchi was like a nuclear explosion of flavor. My mouth was on FIRE. Tears streamed down my face. I frantically waved my hands, pointing at the water bottle. The vendor, bless her heart, just chuckled as she handed it over. I think I traumatized her. She probably thinks I'm some weak-willed Westerner who can't handle the real deal.
  • 12:00 PM: Wandering around the nearby shops. I'm immediately blinded by the cuteness. Everything is designed to charm the pants off you. Found a tiny plastic cat in a gacha machine. Spent all my won. No regrets. Okay, maybe a few. This cat is staring at me, judging my life choices.
  • 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Hitting the streets: Myeongdong! Itaewon! Trying to soak it all in. The sights, the smells, the sheer energy of this place is overwhelming. I'm overwhelmed in the best way. Get lost immediately (and multiple times). Accept my fate as a perpetually directionally challenged tourist.
  • 5:00 PM: Back at the hotel, a quiet hour. Tried to nap. Failed miserably. Jet lag is a cruel mistress.
  • 6:00 PM: Dinner at a little restaurant recommended by the hotel. Bibimbap. Perfect. Comforting. Redeemed.
  • 7:00 PM: Wandered around the backstreets of Myeongdong. Got pulled into a "free" facial (always a mistake, somehow I feel conned into buying a bunch of stuff :P)
  • 8:00 PM: Back to the hotel. Crash. Sleep, sweet sleep. (And a prayer that I won't have kimchi nightmares.)

Day 2: Temples, Tea, and the Undisputed Champion of My Heart

  • 8:00 AM: I woke up, and I feel absolutely terrible. The room feels slightly too small and the smell of that air freshener is back.
  • 9:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. Standard stuff. Not awful. Not amazing. Fuel.
  • 10:00 AM: Gyeongbokgung Palace. Wow. Just wow. The architecture, the colors, the history – it's breathtaking. I spent an hour just wandering around, feeling incredibly small and insignificant. And that, my friends, is a good thing.
  • 11:00 AM: Insadong for Tea. Found a tea house. They do tea ceremony. I loved it. So calm and beautiful. For one blessed hour, I was zen.
  • 1:00 PM: Lunch: I am not eating the kimchi again… Tried something new, Dakbokki. I am not a fan.
  • 2:00 PM: Bukchon Hanok Village. Cute, quaint, touristy. But I liked it. Instagram heaven. I also got my phone to fall on the ground… broke it, but I don't care. I am on holiday!
  • 5:00 PM: Another quiet hour, trying to recharge. And planning my escape from that air freshener.
  • 6:00 PM: I am going to a KBBQ! So I am going to get ready.
  • 7:00 PM: KBBQ. The best ever. I have never had anything so flavorful. The meat, grilled to perfection. The side dishes, endless. The Soju? A close second. I made a friend in a nearby table. He taught me how to properly eat Korean food. Life changing.
  • 8:00 PM: Walking the dark backstreets, feeling happy.
  • 9:00 PM: Back to the hotel. I don't care how I feel I am going to sleep now.

Day 3: DMZ, Drama, and The Great Plastic Cat Crisis

  • 7:00 AM: Up. Breakfast. I may actually like the hotel now.
  • 8:00 AM: DMZ tour. Absolutely sobering experience. Seeing the border, hearing the stories… It's a reminder of how fragile peace can be. I felt a profound sadness, and a deep appreciation for the freedom I sometimes take for granted.
  • 12:00 PM: Back to Seoul. I need a distraction. A light one.
  • 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Exploring the shops where I found my cat.
  • 5:00 PM: The Great Plastic Cat Crisis. Yep. It happened. I was looking for my phone but wasn't there… I then remembered my bag and found the cat. I fell back on my bed in despair… is this the end?
  • 6:00 PM: Dinner. Found a place that sold the BEST noodles. I am going to go there again!
  • 7:00 PM: Back to the hotel. Planning for leaving. I don't want to leave!

Day 4: Farewell (and a Little Bit More Kimchi)

  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast. Staring out of that beige window knowing I will miss this place…
  • 9:00 AM: Last-minute souvenir shopping. Found some more cat related stuff.
  • 10:00 AM: Say goodbye to the hotel.
  • 11:00 AM: Head to the airport.
  • 12:00 PM: Heading home.
  • 1:00 PM: Thinking so much of my time in Korea…

Lessons Learned:

  • Kimchi: Approach with caution (or a bucket of milk).
  • Jet lag: Evil. Prepare yourself.
  • Small plastic cats: Absolutely essential.
  • South Korea: Amazing, exhausting, beautiful, and I can't wait to go back.

This itinerary is not perfect, and my trip certainly wasn’t. It was messy, emotional, and full of minor disasters. But that's what made it memorable. It was real. And I’m glad I had a moment to share it with you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find some more kimchi (wish me luck).

**The Manor Elstree: Uncover the Secrets of This UK Hidden Gem!**

Book Now

Roa hotel South Korea

Luxury Escapes: Roa Hotel, South Korea - The Real Deal (and Maybe a Little Delusional?)

Okay, buckle up, because this ain't your perfectly polished travel brochure. We're diving headfirst into the Roa Hotel experience, courtesy of Luxury Escapes. Prepare for the raw, the real... and maybe some serious wanderlust (or buyer's remorse, depending on the day). Get ready for a messy, honest, funny, and absolutely human perspective. Let's get to those darn questions!

1. So, is the Roa Hotel REALLY "luxury"? Be honest, dammit!

Alright, alright, let's get this out of the way. "Luxury" is subjective, right? What I consider luxury, my neighbor might call excessively gilded (especially if they're paying the bill!). The Roa Hotel does have its moments. The lobby? Stunning. Shiny marble, ridiculously oversized flower arrangements... you feel like you’ve accidentally wandered onto a movie set. The rooms? Spacious, impeccably clean. The heated toilet seats were a revelation. Seriously, why isn't this a global standard?!

But... (and there’s always a but, isn't there?). Some things felt a *little*… strained. The "luxury" bath products? Pleasant, but not earth-shattering. The mini-bar? Overpriced Pepsis (gasp!). And the "private balcony with views" – well, the view was *mostly* of another building. Look, it's definitely above average, maybe even excellent, but genuine, heart-stopping "luxury"? Let's say it's aspirational luxury. You'll feel pampered, but maybe not like royalty. My verdict? A solid 8/10 on the luxury scale, with a few knocked off for the slightly suspect mini-bar.

2. The food! Tell me about the food, please! Was it the stuff of Instagram dreams?

Oy vey, the food. Okay, let's address the elephant in the dining room: the "included" meals. Luxury Escapes often touts this as a major perk, and they're not wrong - free food is *always* a bonus. Breakfast was a *feast*... in a slightly overwhelming, buffet-style kind of way. Every conceivable Korean dish, plus your standard Western fare (eggs, bacon, the usual suspects). The kimchi pancakes were utterly divine, my husband, however, never learned how to properly use chopsticks and was a disaster. There were times where the staff would look at him with pity and offer a fork (which would make things worse.)

Lunch and dinner, though… Not always a culinary masterpiece. One night, we were served grilled fish that was, well, let's just say it had seen better days. It tasted like it had been sunbathing on a rock for a week (over-cooked, dry, and with an aftertaste that involved old fish and regret). But other times? Amazing! Especially the Korean BBQ night. Succulent meats, all kinds of dipping sauces, all brought to your table with impeccable service (plus the hotel staff were VERY kind when my husband set his sleeve on fire trying to get some charcoal going). So, a mixed bag, really. Lots of good food, some truly exceptional dishes, and the occasional culinary misstep.

Pro-Tip: Be adventurous! Try everything! Embrace the weird! And be prepared for a few food-related surprises. (And maybe pack some antacids. Just in case.)

3. The Location: Is the Roa Hotel actually *convenient*?

"Convenient" is another one of those slippery words. The Roa Hotel isn't *exactly* in the middle of everything. It was at least a solid 30-minute taxi ride to the main touristy areas of Seoul city, and South Korea's public transport is easy to understand, but you'll need to get your bearings quickly. But the setting itself? Stunning. The hotel is nestled near mountains and forests. So if you want to be surrounded by nature, you're golden.

On the plus side, the hotel offered a shuttle bus, so it *was* a lifesaver for getting to the nearby train station (which, hello, you *need* to take to get anywhere interesting). The lack of immediate access to the hustle and bustle was a bonus, though, and the hotel really did cater for all of your needs. The hotel also organised day trips to famous landmarks, which would get you to all the main points of interest like the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), so you don't have to go through the stress of planning. But hey, if you're the type who needs to pop out for a midnight ramen run (and, let's be honest, who isn't?), you'll probably need to arrange a taxi.

4. What about the spa? Did you get the full "pampering" experience?

Oh. My. God. The spa. This is where the Roa Hotel *really* shines. The spa was a truly wonderful experience – a haven of tranquility, designed for pure relaxation. (After the minor incident with the fish, I needed it more than you know).

I did the full body massage, and it was heavenly. The therapist was a miracle worker, kneading out all the knots and stresses I'd accumulated over the past decade (probably from planning this trip alone!). The aroma of the essential oils, the soft music, the gentle pressure… I nearly fell asleep. My husband also signed up for a massage which was hilarious. He was a giggling mess the whole time, convinced the therapist was trying to tickle him to death. It was a good kind of embarrassing, but I ended up enjoying the massage twice as much because of it.

Seriously, whether you're into massages or just like to soak in a hot tub, the spa at the Roa Hotel is an experience you won't want to miss. Go, go, go! My highest recommendation.

5. Okay, the staff. Were they genuinely friendly, or just… trained?

The staff at the Roa Hotel were generally lovely. Always polite, always helpful, and generally efficient. Did it feel like genuine warmth? Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, it felt a little… polished. I mean, they're professionals, right? They know how to do their jobs. And they absolutely did.

However, there were a few moments that felt extra special. One evening, when my husband had a small crisis with his trousers (long story, involving an unfortunate encounter with a loose thread and an ill-timed sneeze), the concierge went above and beyond to help him. They offered him a sewing kit (which he promptly mangled), then personally supervised the repair, even finding a tailor to work around the clock (and a new pair of pants) by the time we were ready for the next day. That was above and beyond. Also, they always went the extra mile to make sure my husband was okay - he had an eye infection and the hotel staff were so lovely trying to help him. I guess they felt sorry for us! So yes, on balance, the staff were excellent. And definitely a highlight of the whole trip.

6. Things to do beside the hotel? Is it all tourist traps?

It depends on yourLuxury Stay Blog

Roa hotel South Korea

Roa hotel South Korea